By Ken Custer, The Connection King
So this is retirement… lay back play golf and relax. Yeah, right! Attended some great retirement parties, grand kids wedding and graduations (2), set up a home office, work Rockies games, honey-dos around the house and on and on. As of June 25, haven’t swung a golf club yet, no trips, no time to do every thing. I think I’ll go back to work it was easier. What I don’t miss are the deadlines. Really, I am enjoying it and the golf game will come soon. Excuse me; I’m going to take a nap before finishing this column. I look forward to working with CARLEEN CLEARWATER and her group of creative folks as they take The Review to the next generation. I know they will do a great job and provide everyone with an excellent publication that will cover this great advertising, marketing and media business in Colorado. They will be featuring many of the creative and successful individuals that have made Colorado so prominent nationally in the industry. As the “Connection King” it will be my role to report on individuals and events, a role I look forward to.
• I was blessed and honored to be recognized at two great events. During the Business Marketing Association Annual Gold Key Awards, they recognized me with a Lifetime Achievement Award and Lifetime membership to the organization. It was complete with a video and beautiful trophy. Thanks to Executive Director DERROL MOORHEAD and his crew for a delightful evening and the honor.
• The second party was held May 24 at Mile High Spirits, 2201 Laurence. A big thank you to TONJA ROTH, Ad Cub Denver Executive Director; SANDRA MURRAY, Contagious Media; CHRISTINE COOK, Ingather Research; MARILEE YORCHAK, DAA Executive Detector; and son, Kevin for organizing the event. It was complete with a video, tributes from many individuals and a huge poster signed by those attending. A delightful and humbling evening. Thanks to all!
AWARDS & KUDOS
• The Art Directors Club of Denver Annual Show call for entries is now open. Get the details at www.adcd.com. This is your chance to show how great your creative is.
• Denver based Adtaxi, a digital marketing agency, won third-place spot in the “Best Marketing Solution for an Advertising Client” category at the International News Media Association (INMA) Global Media Awards.
• Did you create a successful healthcare campaign last year? Enter the Colorado Healthcare Communicators Annual Gold Leaf Awards that will be October 26 at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. Register at, healthcarecommuncators.org.
• Congratulations to the Ad Club Denver for their successful Ad Day 2017 held June 2 at CU Boulder. It celebrated all things advertising with excellent speakers and panel discussions.
• On Friday, May 5, the Colorado Chapter of the Business Marketing Association recognized GREG OLSON, Founder of GROWL Agency, with the prestigious Marketer of the Year Award during the Annual Gold Key Awards. Denver Mayor MICHAEL HANCOCK was presented with the Marketing Maverick Award. Best of Show at the event went to 90octane for their campaign. “Under the Hoodie” for RES.
• The Hill Aevium marketing and advertising agency in Vail, hired KAT SMITH as the new Production Coordinator. Her previous experience includes production management through an internship at CNN.
• The Art Directors Club of Denver has become a chapter of New York City based One Club for Creativity. The club will continue with their local features such as the Annual Show, Paper Fashion Show and other events. More information visit, adcd.com.
• Choozle, a programmatic advertising platform, added JOHN SCHNIPKOWEIT as Chief Technology Officer.
• BRIAN FOX, Founder of Lakewood based AdAction, a solutions provider, announced that they recently celebrated their 4th Anniversary.
• iHeartmedia announced that RICK LEWIS and TYLER POLOMBUS will be added to the KOA Broncos broadcast team. Lewis will serve as analyst, replacing the retiring ED MCCAFFREY, and Polombus will be the sideline reporter.
•ADELE ARAKAWA retired from KUSA-TV9 as News Anchor and has been replaced by KIM CHRISTIANSEN. Also, KUSA was named Station of the Year by the National Press Photographers Association for the 13th time.
• KMGH-TV7 News Director, LINDSAY RADFORD, announced her departure from the station on July 3. The station hired a new General Manager, DEAN LITTLETON in March.
• ED SWEENEY – Retired President of Fox, Sweeney & True advertising agency, passed on March 29, 2017 at the age of 84.
• DICK BREHM – A 30-year veteran in Denver broadcasting including KVOD. He was a member of the Broadcast Pioneers of Colorado, where he served on the board and was named to the BPC Hall of Fame in 2012.
That’s it for this issue. You are welcome to email me any tidbits for the next column.
Greg Olsen with Ken Custer
See More >> BMA Colorado 2017 Gold Key Photos